Introduction of Gwangyang


Introduction of Gwangyang


Gwangyang, a Sunny, Glittering City
Gwangyang was called Maro during the Baekje Period and Huiyang during the Unified Silla Period. It has maintained its current name since the Goryeo Period. Maro refers to “Leader,” while Huiyang and Gwangyang mean “warm, glittering sunlight.” In 1989, part of Gwangyang was separated into Donggwangyang; but, in 1995, Gwangyang consolidated the latter and became a city with a mixture of urban and farm areas. Currently, it is a Northeast Asian free trade city in the Maritime Era of the 21st century.

Modern Era

  • Jan. 1, 1986 Opened the Jeollanam-do Gwangyang District Branch Office
  • Jan. 1, 1989 Area under the jurisdiction of Jeollanam-do Gwangyang District Branch Office promoted to Donggwangyang
  • Jan. 1, 1995 Consolidation of Donggwangyang into Gwangyang


  • Called Gwangyang-gun under Namwon-bu in 1895 (32nd year of King Gojong’s reign)


  • Huiyang-yeon named Gwangyang-hyeon in 940 (23rd year of King Taejo’s reign)

Unified Silla

  • Name changed to Huiyang-hyeon in 757 (16th year of King Gyeongdeok’s reign)

Three Kingdom

  • Called Maro-hyeon during the Baekje Period


  • Bordering on Mahan and Byeonhan and belonging to Mahan

콘텐츠 만족도 조사